The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapters 1-9

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 1-9 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 1-9   Chapters 1-9 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 23, 2007 7:49 pm

This section is for discussion re: Chapters 1-9
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890

Chapters 1-9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 1-9   Chapters 1-9 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2007 7:54 am

In this section we are introduced to two of the main characters of the book and get a feel for the 'whaling' community.

I also believe that we are begining to see some of the major themes of the novel including race relations and religion. The race relations are shown in Ishmal's description of both Queequeg and the population of New Bedford and the religion through both his brief visit to the first church and the indepth description of the second.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Chapters 1-9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 1-9   Chapters 1-9 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 25, 2007 12:51 pm

We find ishmael ready to take a journey due to depression and lack of anything better to do. he is descibed as without funds which is one reason he chooses to go aboard ship as a sailor since he will be paid. he has no great social concerns since it is described that he is of some learning and has had decent jobs but is ok to be bossed around and do meniel work. It doesn't make any difference to him. he is prejudiced against Queeqeg but I think that might be understandable because he is SO different. but he softens his stance as he gets to know him.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 1-9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 1-9   Chapters 1-9 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2007 9:24 pm

Alright then, Ishmal is the narrator. I like that style of reading. My favorite part was the encounter with the "sober cannibal." I wasn't aware that cannibals weaved into the New England society. When you think about it, I guess anything or anyone can come in on a ship. New England was apparently the whaling capital of the world. We learn of the whaling community.

Kelly said that the narrator gets diverted to other subjects so I am not looking forward to that.

Onward Ho!!
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Chapters 1-9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 1-9   Chapters 1-9 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 27, 2007 8:14 pm

Obviously the people that lived in the port towns either stayed away from the wharves or got used to seeing a diverse group of people!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chapters 1-9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 1-9   Chapters 1-9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapters 1-9
Page 1 of 1