The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapters 24-28

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 24-28 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 24-28   Chapters 24-28 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2007 9:09 am

This forum is for the discussion of Uncle Tom's Cabin, Chapters 24-28
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 24-28 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 24-28   Chapters 24-28 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2007 11:44 pm

Eva doesn't weather the Lake vacation well. She starts showing signs of illness again. She sees her demise coming close.

Back to the era where religion is a strong influence, little Eva cuts some of her locks of hair off and gives them to her friends (slaves) to remind them of her and to be Christians. During her last days the slaves show their kindness and love to her. Stowe is showing us that at this point in the book there is no boundaries of love. Topsy takes a turn and becomes a loving child during this process of Eva's. Eva passes away and Tom takes the opportunity to help St. Claire become a Christian. He feels it in his heart.

Miss Ophelia gets the ownership of Topsy and has plans to take her back to the North and have her lead a Christian life. I'm sure many situations like these took place in the border states.

I think that Stowe had a great advantage living in a borderstate because it was extremely controversial.

As the tragedy of St. Claire unfolds, us as readers are set up for the impending sale of the slaves.

This book moves very fast and keeps us wondering. Up til now I had hope that everyone of the main characters would live happily ever after. NOT! I can see it coming.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890

Chapters 24-28 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 24-28   Chapters 24-28 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2007 3:17 am

I noticed in these chapters, Stowe uses the conversations and thoughts of Ophelia and St. Clare to directly tell the reader what to do. We see the conversion, and worry about what is to come since it is too late for his will.

What an emotional couple of chapters.

I think we also see idealized behavior of both the Christian and the slaves, when Tom refuses to go home to his family.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Chapters 24-28 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 24-28   Chapters 24-28 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2007 8:08 pm

I thought Eva would die. she was to perfect to live. she was able to convince Topsy to be good just for her sake. Topsy is 'saved' by becoming good and becoming christian and getting her papers transfered o Ophelia. ophelia recognizes her own faults, partly i think by finding out that topsy could sense her repressed disgust to being touched by a black person. Eva's mom acts just like I thought she would as did St. Clare. I was not expecting his death.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chapters 24-28 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 24-28   Chapters 24-28 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapters 24-28
Page 1 of 1