The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Wicked

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Wicked Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wicked   Wicked Icon_minitimeTue Jan 30, 2007 5:32 am

My first request is "WICKED." Kelley bring it on. Put a message board up. I won't read it as quickly as our club, but you got me interested.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Wicked Empty
PostSubject: Wicked   Wicked Icon_minitimeTue Jan 30, 2007 6:16 pm

Gregory Maguire
I'm looking for it now for you Marti.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Wicked Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wicked   Wicked Icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2007 3:45 am

To be noted, Kelley didn't bring Wicked to work tonight. Tsk, tsk.

geek
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Wicked Empty
PostSubject: I Munchkinlanders   Wicked Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2007 6:36 am

Frex and Melena are Elphaba's parents and they are quite odd in their own right. Frex is the unionsim minister and travels all over and leaves Melena alone. Well she seems very miserable.

I would like to know what the Clock of the Time Dragon is all about. The book states that it is a symbol of wickedness.

Elphaba is a weirdo to begin with. OK, so she's green. She also has many other features that makes her creepy. I thought it was real funny when they slinged her mouth shut so she wouldn't bite anyone. Her name comes from the writer of the original Wizard of OZ, Lyman Frank Baum - L F B. I think that is a wonderful touch.

The readers guide in the back of the book asked if it was easier or harder to read a book when previous known characters and fictional situations were already known by the reader?

I think that it makes it more familiar and relaxing. These characters personalities are already known and either liked or disliked. I'm having a hard time getting the lingo down with the book. When I come up with a new one I am asking myself, is it a creature or a place. The map in the front helps a little, but I think this book should have its own glossary in the back.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Wicked Empty
PostSubject: II Gillikin   Wicked Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2007 5:49 am

Galinda and Elphaba meet at the boarding school. Their chaparone is Ama Clutch. Odd little traditions that have to go on. Galinda is a snobby socialite that transforms into Elphaba's friend. Her name changes too. Elphaba starts to grow as a person. She starts letting friendships blossom. She also has a passion for the Animals vs. animals theory with Dr. Dillamond. Unfortunately he dies and Elphaba has to continue his work. Galinda transforms into Glinda and becomes Elphaba's friend. Nanny and Nessarose come into the picture and so does the ruby slippers. Elphaba doesn't seem to mind that she has them, but we really know the truth because of the story of The Wizard of Oz. After Dillamond's death the two friends go to Oz to meet the Wizard. They are brushed off and Elphaba leaves her friend and integrates into the world of Oz.

Very interesting.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Wicked Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wicked   Wicked Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2007 5:37 pm

Do you think of the Wizard of OZ as the real truth or Wicked? I tended to think that Wicked was the 'real untold' story.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Wicked Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wicked   Wicked Icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2007 5:12 am

So far the Wizard is suppose to be the good guy. I haven't run across anything that would lead me to believe otherwise except that he doesn't want to acknowledge the animals vs. the Animals.

Don't you think that's his major fault.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Wicked Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wicked   Wicked Icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2007 5:14 am

Oh, Keep Reading...Keep Reading...
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Wicked Empty
PostSubject: III. City of Emerals   Wicked Icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2007 5:19 am

OK, I like this section. Elphaba gets some affection finally in her life. She really gets into her cause. I am assuming that the cause is the animal vs. Animal gig. Fiyero is her only light of happiness. Fiyero follows Faba and thinks they are going to assinate the Wizard of Oz but they are going to go after Madame Morrible. Fiyero gets killed and Faba has blood on her hands.

Still lost on this one.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Wicked Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wicked   Wicked Icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2007 5:26 am

It's a pretty wild book, eh?? A lot to put together and I thought that the symbolilsm was pretty abstract.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Wicked Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wicked   Wicked Icon_minitimeSun Feb 25, 2007 1:13 am

I love how they throw in the history of the ruby shoes, the monkey, why she wore her hat and cape. All that stuff. It makes the reading more interesting.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Wicked Empty
PostSubject: IV In the Vinkus   Wicked Icon_minitimeSun Feb 25, 2007 2:56 am

So Elphaba travels to Vinkus with her little clan. She stops at Sarima's house. She stays there a week and realizes she can't travel any further because of the winter weather. Sarima puts her up in the tower of the castle. During this time she starts to question the sisters of Sarima about Fiyero. She really doesn't get anywhere. What pathetic lives that these "dependent sisterinlaws" have.

We find out that Nessarose has Glinda put an enchantment spell on the ruby slippers and Nessie puts these on. She realizes that she doesn't need to be propped up anymore. They are special slippers now. She got this information from Nanny who came to visit. Nanny states that she is not needed by Nessie anymore. Liir falls in a fishwell and Nanny saves him. She takes a liking to him and starts to take care of him better than Ephaba. Nanny starts to give Faba information about the Wizard that he is changing the land of OZ with these youth camps. That makes her angry. Faba is not sure what is going on. Nori plays with Faba's broom and it starts to fly. Eventually Faba gets on it and it takes her where ever she wants to go. She decided to visit her father and sister. Her sister tries to talk her into staying and help to lead the people. She says no and leaves. Nessie wills the red ruby slippers to her sister. When Faba gets back to the castle everyone is gone except for Nanny. She says the soldiers took everyone. Faba is angry.

I still have a lot to look forward to in thes next few chapters. It is not coming together yet.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Wicked Empty
PostSubject: V The Murder and Its Afterlife   Wicked Icon_minitimeSun Feb 25, 2007 6:15 am

This is the most exciting chapter. Seven years after the castle family is kidnapped, the house falls on Nessarose. Dorothy rambles on about its not her house or her auntie or uncles house but the banks house. That was funny. Liir is the bastard son of Fiyero.

Can I assume that Elphaba is Liir's mother?

I don't know if I can sympathize with Dorothy or Faba. I guess my sympathy goes with Faba. They were her slippers. Dorothy is not the good guy in this story.

The Wizard confuses me a lot. I know that he wants to take the Land of Oz over, but why did he kill Madame Morrible. I know it was part of the plot, but how does it benefit the Wizard.

Do you have any insight on the Tin Man or the Scarecrow. What are their stories. I know about the lion. He was a captured when he was younger.

I really couldn't understand what Fiyero had to do with the cause. Was he working for the Munchkinland people?

I got lost on some of this.

Help.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wicked Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wicked   Wicked Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wicked
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Well Educated Mind Reading Group :: Other Discussion :: I'm Reading-
Jump to: