The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Unrelated to the Chapters

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Unrelated to the Chapters Empty
PostSubject: Unrelated to the Chapters   Unrelated to the Chapters Icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2007 12:15 am

This forum is for any discussions unrelated to the specific chapters.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

PostSubject: I wonder   Unrelated to the Chapters Icon_minitimeMon Feb 05, 2007 4:43 am

I find it interesting in the last few books how often the author refers to people or places as Mr. W____ or the streets of L____
I wonder why that is??

Maybe this is just in my copy of the book, but I have seen it before in P&P and Oliver, where the author doesn't write out the whole word, but almost insinuates the location, with out actually calling it "London". In P&P I think it was the armies regiment that was refered to this way.

Last edited by on Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Unrelated to the Chapters   Unrelated to the Chapters Icon_minitimeMon Feb 05, 2007 9:06 am

I don't understand what you are bringing up?

Clarify
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

PostSubject: Re: Unrelated to the Chapters   Unrelated to the Chapters Icon_minitimeMon Feb 05, 2007 9:21 am

Well I read a little bit about Charlotte Bronte. Wow she had a hard life. She wasn't one of those gals in P & P that got married off. I'm sure this book is going to be self-reflective. (I got that term down now).

So far all these books have real sad parts. Not a "feel good" book. I know Oliver found his way to happiness, but there is a lot of heartache inbetween. I'm starting to think that this time period in Britian was a sad one. Britian was extremely powerful at that time in the world. What happened? Maybe too concerned about the global situation instead of the homefront hmmmm?
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

PostSubject: Re: Unrelated to the Chapters   Unrelated to the Chapters Icon_minitimeMon Feb 05, 2007 2:12 pm

Wow, the adjectives used by Bronte in this book really make you "see" and "experience" exactly what is going on. I read somewhere that some of Dickens critics felt like he was too wordy when describing situations. Bronte is clearly more descriptive than Dickens. She portrays every situation, person, location, item of clothing to the minute detail. I really get a feel for the scene she is setting.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

PostSubject: Re: Unrelated to the Chapters   Unrelated to the Chapters Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2007 4:05 pm

I think Bronte is easier to read than Dickens. I am reading a book published in 1943. It has a forward in it by Bronte signed as 'Currer Bell', with Bronte in ( ) beneath it. she quotes moby Dick and makes allusions o some of the characters in THAT book. cool, since we read it next.
i wondered about the thing you mentioned, seeing Mrs. _____-, ec. i thought the aauthor was probably referring to a real person or place and did not want to get into trouble for being specific, yet wants the reader to know it is a specific place or event.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

PostSubject: Re: Unrelated to the Chapters   Unrelated to the Chapters Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2007 5:26 pm

I think that it is interesting that you think Bronte is easier than Dickens, I was thinking just the oposite. I think that Bronte is difficult, and found that I had no trouble just flying through Dickens, but this is quite a bit slower for me.

flower
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

PostSubject: Re: Unrelated to the Chapters   Unrelated to the Chapters Icon_minitimeWed Feb 14, 2007 5:40 pm

Good point about JE being easier to read. I agree.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unrelated to the Chapters   Unrelated to the Chapters Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Unrelated to the Chapters
Page 1 of 1