The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Book 3 Part 1

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Book 3 Part 1 Empty
PostSubject: Book 3 Part 1   Book 3 Part 1 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2007 5:07 pm

This forum is for the discussion of Native Son, Book 3 Part 1.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Book 3 Part 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book 3 Part 1   Book 3 Part 1 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2007 6:59 pm

I got that the white community hoped to make a specticle and lesson oout of Bigger which was not surprising given the circumstances of the murder and the times. I didn't like that the author portrayed Bigger as dull and unresponsive when first put in jail. He needed to rage out if he wanted white folks to know his suffering, not in ridiculous actions like killing people but with words. All through the book he could never articulate well. That was frustrating for me as a reader. I was interested to see how much latitude the papers and lawyers had with both Bigger and the communist party. If people really could say and print stuff like that back then, we have come a long way today in protecting peoples rights.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Book 3 Part 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book 3 Part 1   Book 3 Part 1 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2007 7:32 pm

This is all part of the evolution of freedom. Bigger is a product of his environment. The whites don't even think Bigger was capable of planning out a murder, let alone covering it up.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890

Book 3 Part 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book 3 Part 1   Book 3 Part 1 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2007 7:55 pm

I agree with you girls. It is interesting to see how far the media has come with respects to printing acusations against people. You can compare that to what is printed about the war and what goes on in other countries, that we don't know what kind of liberties the media may take.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Book 3 Part 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book 3 Part 1   Book 3 Part 1 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2007 8:06 pm

the only reason the whites didn't think bigger was capable of the murder of Mary was because they had bigger worries with the "reds'. Bigger had no idea how effectively he turned their eyes from him by claiming to be a 'red'. However as soon as it was obvious that bigger DID commit the crime they were all over him accsuing him of doing just what any black man would do, rape and murder a white woman at the first opportunity! They would have been most happy though if they could have tied Jan to the murder as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Book 3 Part 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book 3 Part 1   Book 3 Part 1 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Book 3 Part 1
Page 1 of 1