The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Part VI - Pages 551-669

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Part VI - Pages 551-669 Empty
PostSubject: Part VI - Pages 551-669   Part VI - Pages 551-669 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2007 5:23 pm

Discussion Questions for Part Six, Pages 551–669

1. When you heard that Dolly was spending the summer with Kitty, what was your first thought? What is your impression of the relationship between the two?

2. Much of this section is focused on the women of the novel. Name the three most important things you feel you learned about Russian women, women in the 19th century or women in general from Part Six.

3. Do you feel that Levin's jealousy over Veslovsky's amorous attentions towards his wife is in character?

4. Talk about the authentic period details in this section—Levin's estate, the shooting "contests," the muzhik cottages and the country in general. What did you find the most interesting or intriguing about them?

5. How do you see Levin's philosophies about his life and land in Part Six to be different from the way he thought of things before he married Kitty?

6. What do you think of Dolly as a mother to her somewhat unruly children? What seems similar or different about Dolly and Kitty in their approaches to motherhood?

7. Talk about Dolly's visit to see Anna. What do you think of Anna's "secret" and her reasons for keeping it?

8. Has Anna and Vronsky's love affair grown healthier now that they are away from the prying eyes of society? Do you feel they are still in love with each other?

9. Think about Levin's visit to Moscow during Kitty's confinement. How does he seem out of place in the big city? What do you learn about his philosophy that seems to be important?

10. At the end of Part Six, Anna and Vronsky settle in Moscow expecting of a divorce from Karenin. Knowing what you know, do you expect him to grant it?
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Part VI - Pages 551-669   Part VI - Pages 551-669 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2007 5:26 am

Section Six: Chapters 1-16:

Most significant is the end of this set of chapters, where we see Dolly go to see Anna regardless of the stigma. She goes to Anna as a friend, but also goes a bit out of curiosity, curiosity of the life, love and freedom that she perceives Anna to enjoy. On the way we see Dolly fantasize about a man (any man) that loves her completely, showing us that not only is she aware of her husband's unchanged ways, but desires something more out of her life.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

PostSubject: Re: Part VI - Pages 551-669   Part VI - Pages 551-669 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2007 7:31 am

Section Six: Chapters 17-32:

In this section Anna's life and Dolly's life are compared. We begin by feeling that Dolly is unhappy in her traditional role as a mother and house wife, and is unsatisfied with her marriage. She seems to be envious of Anna's freedom and youth. Anna is portrayed as wealthy, healthy and happy. As the section progresses we see that Anna isn't really happy, but constantly second guessing her relationship with Vronsky. She has become jealous and clingy and is driving him away from her. She has lost all of her maternal roles and takes no care of the home that she lives in. Dolly has a greater appreciation for her life as she heads back to her children. This is a great parallel between the many roles that women often play, and as SparkNotes points out, an interesting insight into the popular topic of feminism.

The long and drawn out elections serve no real purpose to the story, except to solidify the reader's view that elections really have no purpose in the political world of this time.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

PostSubject: Re: Part VI - Pages 551-669   Part VI - Pages 551-669 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2007 7:49 am

1. When you heard that Dolly was spending the summer with Kitty, what was your first thought? What is your impression of the relationship between the two?
I think that it is nice that Dolly is spending the summer with Kitty. The sisters are close and enjoy their time together. It is a different thing when siblings are both considered adults and can become friends. It is nice for Kitty to have the support of her sister, though I am sure it is difficult to find time for just her and her husband.
2. Much of this section is focused on the women of the novel. Name the three most important things you feel you learned about Russian women, women in the 19th century or women in general from Part Six.
Most noteably in this section, as I mentioned earlier, is the feminist struggle that is apparent. The women have been raised believing that women should be beautiful, wives, and mothers, they should support their husbands quitely. These women all struggle with different aspects of their raising and the culture. They are all trying to find the balance of what makes them happy, raising their families, having a voice, and remianing in the favor of society.
3. Do you feel that Levin's jealousy over Veslovsky's amorous attentions towards his wife is in character?
I think that Levin wants so badly to do what is right for his wife, and to make sure everyone treats her with respect, that his jealousy was with in reason for his character.
5. How do you see Levin's philosophies about his life and land in Part Six to be different from the way he thought of things before he married Kitty?
I think that Levin is growing. He is no longer a bachelor who only thinks of himself, but a man who is thinking of his family. He evaluates the people around him and their behavior based on a more moral view.
6. What do you think of Dolly as a mother to her somewhat unruly children? What seems similar or different about Dolly and Kitty in their approaches to motherhood?
Dolly has a million children, it doesn't surprise me that they are slightly unruly, especially with out a father present (or a father that shows respect for the mother.) I think Dolly, like many women, love her children but sometimes thinks of the what if... She is a good mother and visiting Anna reminded her of how much she cares for her children. It will be interesting to see how Kitty is as a mother.
7. Talk about Dolly's visit to see Anna. What do you think of Anna's "secret" and her reasons for keeping it?
I think Anna is keeping her secret because she is affraid that Vronsky will leave her. Though she is 'known' for being the woman who bucks the system, she still strongly believes that a woman is valued for her beauty and fertility. I think that Vronsky would still stand by Anna, but she is blind to this side of his love.
8. Has Anna and Vronsky's love affair grown healthier now that they are away from the prying eyes of society? Do you feel they are still in love with each other?
I think that Vronsky continues to love Anna, but is starting feel the stress of the confinement of their situation. Anna seems to cling to Vronsky out of fear of being alone, it is hard to tell if she loves him. Their relationship is definitely not healthier now.
10. At the end of Part Six, Anna and Vronsky settle in Moscow expecting of a divorce from Karenin. Knowing what you know, do you expect him to grant it?
I think that Karenin will grant the divorce. Lydia may surprise us in encouraging the divorce, since I believe that she has her eyes on Karenin. I wonder though, if there is a divorce, if Vronsky will still want to marry Anna, or if she will have pushed him away.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Part VI - Pages 551-669   Part VI - Pages 551-669 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2007 10:14 pm

When you heard that Dolly was spending the summer with Kitty, what was your first thought? What is your impression of the relationship between the two?

I was glad to see that Dolly found comfort in visiting her sister. She also doesn't have a lot of choice financially. I think in this book the sisters relationships are stronger than any marriage.

Russian women seem to be submissive and dramatic. The women we are reading about seem to have money or links to money and can survive on that. They are the wondering type who take a lot of their time visiting as a passtime.

I think that jealousy is within anyone's character. A little jealousy is appropriate, but a lot of jealousy can bepoisonous.

4. Talk about the authentic period details in this section—Levin's estate, the shooting "contests," the muzhik cottages and the country in general. What did you find the most interesting or intriguing about them?

I think in this society that it is very interesting what these men do for a pasttime. They have the gentleman's club and the bird shooting episodes. Levin's estate is within character too, there was a lot of country estates and Levin seemed happy in that nitche.

If I remember, he meshes into the city life after a time of adjustment. He compromises some of his values. Throughout the entire novel, Levin is going through changes within himself. He seems to be very impressionable. Country life is good, then he's in the city and then that life is good too. He does stick to his inner self and realized what made him happy, the simple life.

Dolly started out to be the mother who had governesses and a lot of help. Then her finances dictated to her that she couldn't have them. I think they just went amok because she had to raise them herself without help from a nanny. She also wanted to keep up her high society ways of being a lady of leisure. That is what bit her in the tush. Those children needed full attention and Dolly didn't know how to do it after her finances wouldn't let her have help.

Are we talking about her inability to have more children? If so, that is a responsibility of the women of that time. I don't think that Anna plays by the rules of most respectible women. She marches to her own tune, so Vronsky shouldn't have been a problem. Anna doesn't see herself as a typical woman thought.

I think that reality has set in. Anna is a nut case with some "depression" problems. Vronsky is standing by Anna, and she doesn't realize that. It causes problems. I don't think their relationship is healthy because Anna is sick. No matter where they were, their would be problems. I think that Anna and Vronsky are still in love, but Anna's problems are causing most of the problems. Vronsky is giing a lot up for her and he is loyal.

9. Think about Levin's visit to Moscow during Kitty's confinement. How does he seem out of place in the big city? What do you learn about his philosophy that seems to be important?

Levin is a country boy. He is not comfortable with this life. With Kitty's encouragement, he goes out and socializes. This is against his own interests.

I think this quote sums it up for Levin:

"Intellectual advancement can come only from each scholar following his own ideas to the end."

I don't expect him to grant it. Karenin seems to be an OK guy. He is selfish, but lets Anna live her life. I bet he won't grant it because of his social stature, which is more important to him than Anna' s is to her.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

PostSubject: Re: Part VI - Pages 551-669   Part VI - Pages 551-669 Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2007 6:19 pm

Myfirst thought was that it was mostly for financial reasons that they went, wih encouragement from her usband who would like his wife and childrenn out from under foot. The book stated he only came to visit once or twiceand only for a day or two. I thik dolly was grateful to have a place to go, though, and after reading further she thinks about what will be next, once they move back. she knows they are in real financial trouble.

Family is ery important to russian women. they are very anxious to have children, raise them properly and launch them successfully. It reflect good upbringing. They were able to withstand a lot of perosnal unhappiness. It seems like the pinnacleof many of the womens lives was their wedding day and it all went down hill from there.

yes i though i t was in character for Levin to be very jealous though I thought it was out of character for him to flat out ask him to leave his home.

I found the fact that the peasants still really cowtowed to the land owners though they were no longer serfs. They fed them, bedded them and waited on them hand and foot. The land owners were demanding and acted if it was their due.. how about the hunting scenes in which leven, Veslovsky and Oblonsky just merrily shoot away all day in the very area that the peasants are trying to mow?

I actually felt he became less invested in his property and the running of his business because he was so busy with Kitty. Ater reading further, it sounds like they may be getting in financial trouble, too.

dolly was just a good hearted half worn out woman, doing the best she could under the circumstances. The book said she was either pregant or nursing her entire marriage. Yuck. her husband spends money irresponsibly and I was glad to read that at some point she did NOT sign over her monthly alottment to him, as she usually did.

I wondered if Anna had something go wrong during the delivery or if the doctor 'helped' her become sterile. I think she may have asked the doctor if there was some way to not become pregnant again since she felt Vronsky wanted her shapely, etc. she sounds pretty insecure to me and very uncertain of her plce with Vronsky

their relationship has deteriorated! she is so insecure she is pushing him away with her pety demands. He doesn't want to seem weak in the eyes of his friends, so he feels he must prove he wears the pants in the partnership.

Poor Levin! He hates the city and only obliges for Kitty's sake. He see's the financial drain and is bored with the lifestyle there. He recognizes that politics are just a waste of time, just as being a justice of the peace is while in the ocuntry.

10. At the end of Part Six, Anna and Vronsky settle in Moscow expecting of a divorce from Karenin. Knowing what you know, do you expect him to
I don't expect him to rant it. I think he will become embittered with Anna and allow her to suffer. Brienne made a good point though in that the woman who has become his close advisor may want him 'free' so he may marry her.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Part VI - Pages 551-669   Part VI - Pages 551-669 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Part VI - Pages 551-669
Page 1 of 1