The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rejection of family #9

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Rejection of family  #9 Empty
PostSubject: Rejection of family #9   Rejection of family  #9 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2007 9:53 pm

9. Why does Roskolnikov reject his family's and Razumikhin's attempts at solace and comfort? Why, when they are at their most loving, does he have feelings of hatred for them? What is Dostoyevsky saying about guilt and conscience?
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Rejection of family #9   Rejection of family  #9 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2007 2:00 am

Section 3 Response:

At this point in the novel, I believe that Raskol's desire to alienate himself and his discomfort with his family and Raz (the people who love him most) is directly related to the guilt he feels. He doesn't feel worthy of the love and solace that they offer him (though I don't think he would admit this to himself). When he is feeling less guilty/more justified he is able to tolerate his loved ones, but when he is feeling his guiltiest, he cannot bear to be around them.

I think that this is a true characteristic for all of us. When I am frustrated with myself or mad at myself, the last thing that I want is for Tony or my mom to tell me that it will be ok, or that I am doing the right thing, or to be strong. Though I usually don't say so, I probably feel like I don't deserve that support at that time. And often times those feelings are manifested in frustration or anger towards the person trying to comfort me. Maybe just to push them away, so they aren't supportive, and so I can wallow in my moment of self pity and frustration.
scratch
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Rejection of family #9   Rejection of family  #9 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2007 11:57 pm

I actually think that when he pushes his family away he is protecting them from seeing him turn into someone they won't like. I think Raskol wants his family to just think that he drifted away in the sunset when in actuality he goes to jail.

I personally close down and work things out myself. If I was Raskol I would probably push them away too. Good or bad, who knows.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rejection of family #9   Rejection of family  #9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rejection of family #9
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Well Educated Mind Reading Group :: Novel Section :: Crime and Punishment-
Jump to: