The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Guilt #8

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Guilt  #8 Empty
PostSubject: Guilt #8   Guilt  #8 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2007 9:52 pm

8. Does the fact that Roskolnikov never uses the money stole from the pawnbroker make him less - or - more - guilty? Why do you think he never recovers the stolen items or cash?
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Guilt  #8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guilt #8   Guilt  #8 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2007 12:02 am

Guilt is guilt and guilty is guilty. Raskol apparently does the crime to either see if he can do it or to follow his destiny. Either way if he is thinking about it that way, it would seem that he thinks if he didn't use the loot, the guilt would be less or go away.

Murder is murder so it's how someone deals with the guilt of their crime. Robin Hood didn't think that he was stealing because he gave to the poor. Was he wrong.

I think he doesn't retrieve the loot because he thinks it's blood money.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Guilt  #8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guilt #8   Guilt  #8 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2007 2:27 am

I thought that he placed the money and jewels under a rock in a sense to cleanse himself of the crime, but as the novel went on I realized that he didn't really want the money, he wanted to prove to himself that he was extraordinary. It wasn't about the result, it was about the action.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Guilt  #8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guilt #8   Guilt  #8 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2007 4:54 pm

On the surface I thought that getting rid of the loot was his way of clearing himself of the crime to the authorities. I don't think that he really felt that he would ever be ridden of the guilt. Even after confessing, there is a place to forgive yourself, and the only way that Raskol would have that is if Sonya forgave him. I think Raskol evolved to a person who could finally let the guilt go and love someone again.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Guilt  #8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guilt #8   Guilt  #8 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2007 7:09 pm

You both make good points. I felt Raskol didn't use the money because he kept wanting to be removed from the act I agree with you both that it was 'dirty'r blood money and by hiding it some how cleansed him of the act or at lesast lessened it. he thought it and it was more honorable somehow to have committed the crime and then not used the $ He mentioned early on, that was was actually helping people by committing the murder and setting some people free. those that were in her debt.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Guilt  #8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guilt #8   Guilt  #8 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2007 2:52 am

I guess he did set some people free. I would be glad I didn't have to pay back the old pawnbroker.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Guilt  #8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guilt #8   Guilt  #8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Guilt #8
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Well Educated Mind Reading Group :: Novel Section :: Crime and Punishment-
Jump to: