The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Beginning of Journey- Leaving Interpretation

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Beginning of Journey- Leaving Interpretation Empty
PostSubject: Beginning of Journey- Leaving Interpretation   Beginning of Journey- Leaving Interpretation Icon_minitimeThu Jan 04, 2007 3:28 am

I have been keeping close track of the 'technical' definition for each character's name, and how each of these characters can only act in the way defined by thier name.

Evangelist seems to be the only character that can show Christian 'the way." Hope was able to be helpful, but couldn't direct Christian.

Symbols:

Mount Sanai, the fires, the tumbling mountain all reference the place Moses received the ten comandments, and the burning bush

The straight path to God= the 'straight path' of living

The burden= sin
The burden may only be relieved by God

I thought that the time that Christian spent with Interpretation was important, since the book itself must be interpreted by the reader, and each character and lesson interpreted by both the reader and Christian. Christian seemed ready to leave, and the Interpreter had more to show him, maybe symbolizing that the reader needs to dig for more meaning in each section, more than the surface story.

SparkNotes brought up an interesting point in its analysis-
Christian doesn't seem affected by personal relationships, didn't seem to care that he left his family, or that people traveling with him, leave him.

SparkNotes also talked about the importance of Solitude, what do you think?
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Beginning of Journey- Leaving Interpretation   Beginning of Journey- Leaving Interpretation Icon_minitimeSat Jan 06, 2007 10:09 pm

I'm also enjoying the characters and what they represent. I further enjoy the Spark Notes analysis of the characters. The analysis is giving me more insight into the book.

I think it's interesting that someone who is searching for religious truth goes through so many obstacles, feelings, and personal challanges. Bunyon has made it a geographical venture as well as a spiritual one.

As I mentioned before, the parallels are many. SWB states DQ's hero is mad and PP's is a tale of a dream. These two pieces of literature shows us the key to these two books is a QUEST.

I am beginning to realize different ways that literature can meet the same goal.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Beginning of Journey- Leaving Interpretation   Beginning of Journey- Leaving Interpretation Icon_minitimeSun Jan 07, 2007 7:12 am

As difficult as it was, I needed the Spark Notes analysis to enjoy this. There was so much ground covered in a small amount of time.

The Palace of Beautiful was enjoyable. All four mistresses had a part in opening up Christian's motivation for his journey. They also showed us the determination that Christian had. Looking at it in depth shows us that Christian's priority is with the journey, not his family.

As in most journey's there is temptation. While Christian's is not the usual lust of a woman or material wealth, he does encounter a few temptations.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beginning of Journey- Leaving Interpretation   Beginning of Journey- Leaving Interpretation Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Beginning of Journey- Leaving Interpretation
Page 1 of 1