The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Suspense #1

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Suspense  #1 Empty
PostSubject: Suspense #1   Suspense  #1 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2007 3:44 am

1. How does Dostoyevsky achieve and sustain the suspense in his novel? Which scenes strike you as being particularly suspenseful? How does he use description to enhance the turmoil in Roskolnikov's mind?
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Suspense  #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspense #1   Suspense  #1 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2007 9:30 pm

Throughout this novel Raskol brushes against being caught. My favorite was when he just committed the first murder and Alyona comes in. I was waiting for him to freak out, but he just turns around and "axes" her. No pun intended. Then when the painters are at the door, the know is trying to be moved and Raskol has his hands on it and the painters know that someone is holding it. That had me going.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Suspense  #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspense #1   Suspense  #1 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2007 1:46 am

Suspense in Section One

From the get go, we know that Raskol is going to commit a crime, but for the first five chapters it is refered to as 'It'. There is quite a bit of forshaddowing and mention of the upcoming crime, which definitely had me in suspense.
I agree with you too Marti, when the painters were on the other side of the door and knew something was wrong, I was at the 'edge of my seat' wondering what was to come.

I think that Dosoyevsky uses Raskol's ever changing views and interactions to help build the suspense and drama. In one moment he is kind and intraspective, and then instantly cruel and selfish. As a reader we are thrown from one vividily described scene to the next, keeping our imaginations on edge.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Suspense  #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspense #1   Suspense  #1 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2007 5:28 am

Good descriptions on the writing of this piece of literature kelley.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Suspense  #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspense #1   Suspense  #1 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Suspense #1
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Well Educated Mind Reading Group :: Novel Section :: Crime and Punishment-
Jump to: