The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

General Observations

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

General Observations Empty
PostSubject: General Observations   General Observations Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2007 12:39 am

I have found it interesting how many literary references to books we have read have been in this book. Of the top of my head I can think of Don Quixote, Pilgrim's Progress and Gulliver's Travels.

I also noted the term "quixotic" used a few times, and guessed correctly, that its' meaning references Quixote.

Interesting, eh??
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890

PostSubject: What's in a name   General Observations Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2007 2:13 am

What's in a name?

Do you find it interesting that Una is refered to as Mrs. Captain, when the wives of all other captains actually go by the captain's last name? I thought that maybe the author felt that it would be presumptuous to give a surname to Ahab.
But I found it very interesting since nams play such a role in the story. Una taking back her maiden name, picking a thimble with an S, Susan choosing Spenser as her last name, etc.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

PostSubject: Re: General Observations   General Observations Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2007 9:03 pm

Yeah, i like that thought about names. I think you are right in that the author did not feel it was her place to choos a namefor Ahab. I love reading referencess to other books we have read. There was a list in Uncle Toms Cabin when describing cousin Ophelia's perfect home where a book shelf had several books in perfect order and I rmember Pilgrims progress was one of them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Observations   General Observations Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General Observations
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Well Educated Mind Reading Group :: Novel Section :: Moby-Dick :: Ahab's Wife-
Jump to: