The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Frannie #16

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Frannie  #16 Empty
PostSubject: Frannie #16   Frannie  #16 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2007 1:54 pm

I am so glad to see Frannie back in the picture. Una decides to invite her to live in Nantucket and make her way in life. I am surprised that she is such a determined woman who has such convictions. I'm sure that David Poland, the dwarf, made a big impression on her regarding slavery. That was her first real exposure to the real world.

Frannie is very independent in her thoughts. We find this out when she connects with Isaac, but doesn't marry him.

She also goes through the loss of her child. Liberty is surely a popular name in this book.

Frannie has evolved to a wonderful character.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Frannie  #16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frannie #16   Frannie  #16 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2007 4:03 pm

maybe the term/name 'Liberty' had something to do with intimating self liberation, breaking free of bonds that held her back or entangled her.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Frannie  #16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frannie #16   Frannie  #16 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2007 1:54 am

Two out of three of the babies named Liberty died. What's up with that.

I do agree that it could have been self liberation, but their lifespan was short.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Frannie  #16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frannie #16   Frannie  #16 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2007 4:47 am

What a shame for Frannie to have to also endure the loss of a child. It seems as there are so many losses in this book, and not many from "natural causes' but more accidents.

I feel really bad for poor Isaac.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Sponsored content

Frannie  #16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frannie #16   Frannie  #16 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Frannie #16
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Well Educated Mind Reading Group :: Novel Section :: Moby-Dick :: Ahab's Wife-
Jump to: