The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapters 50-55

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 50-55 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 50-55   Chapters 50-55 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 19, 2007 11:27 pm

For discussion related to Chapters 50-55
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Chapters 50-55 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 50-55   Chapters 50-55 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2007 6:05 pm

In this section we see Lydia and Wickham return to visit the family after their marriage. Lydia and Mrs. Bennet's behavior and Mr. Wickham's reputation seem emphasize their being of a lower class. Elizabeth is enraged and embarressed, where earlier in the book I don't think she was as aware or sensitive to class issues.

Elizabeth also finds out that Darcy paid for her sister's wedding, making the whole affair more socially acceptable. Though there is a part of her that seems to believe this is for her, she can't let her whole heart believe it to be so.

Jane and Bingley are engaged. They again are the opposite of Darcy and Elizabeth, as they both easily fall back into the rolls of love, don't hold a grudge, and never worry about the issues of class. Other than naivety and a slight insecurity, they make being a couple seem very easy. Where we see that Darcy and Liza are still struggling.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 50-55 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 50-55   Chapters 50-55 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2007 10:30 pm

Lydia is her mother's daughter. She has no clue as to what she has caused to the family.

Mr. Bennett is surprising me with the stubborness that he has showed by not letting Lydia and Wickham visit right after their marriage. He does relent and we find out about Lydia's selfishness.

Jane and Bingley see Miss Bingley for what she really is in the snobbery department. I'm glad to see these two finally worked it out. I did think that there would be more of a story behind their union.

I think the biggest story is really how Wickham starts out being a nice gentleman and then has skeletons in his closet. That was an enjoyable turn in the story line.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Chapters 50-55 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 50-55   Chapters 50-55 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2007 11:46 pm

I really felt like the main purpose of the story of Jane and Bingley was to contrast to Elizabeth and Darcy's love story. The ease of their love and companionship always plays to the difficulty in the other.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Chapters 50-55 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 50-55   Chapters 50-55 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 26, 2007 10:12 am

Darcy continues to demonstarte his love for elizabeth by paying for the wedding of Lydia and Wickham. this should make evident his love in that he truly dislikes Wickham and would never help him without an alternate reason. Darcy no longer cares about the Bennet sisters’ low social status. this is shown in that he doesn't meddle with his friends engagement to Jane. Elizabeth has grown to love Darcy but figures she lost he one chance to marry him and doesn't recognizs that he still loves her as much as ever.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chapters 50-55 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 50-55   Chapters 50-55 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapters 50-55
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Well Educated Mind Reading Group :: Novel Section :: Pride and Prejudice-
Jump to: