The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Don Quixote Chapter V-X

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Don Quixote Chapter V-X Empty
PostSubject: Don Quixote Chapter V-X   Don Quixote Chapter V-X Icon_minitimeMon Nov 20, 2006 8:36 pm

This thread is for questions and comments for Don Quixote Chapter V-X.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Don Quixote Chapter V-X   Don Quixote Chapter V-X Icon_minitimeTue Nov 21, 2006 10:13 am

I might be jumping the gun, but I was stuck on a spot where Don and Sancho beat up one of the Monks. What was that all about? How was that justified as doing something valient? I know he had his own imagination, but what really happened is a miff to me?

I can't figure out why Sancho is going along with this. He's starting to believe that he has to act as a squire in the books. Sancho can complain and has to be Don's side kick. OK he is promised an isle or a kingdom to govern. That is really far fetched.

Help me out here.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

PostSubject: Re: Don Quixote Chapter V-X   Don Quixote Chapter V-X Icon_minitimeWed Nov 22, 2006 4:55 am

I got up to Chapter 8. We are at the windmills. It is a very short adventure. This seams to be the stereotype characteristic of Don Quixote. In the book I'm reading, it's only a page long.

Also what are Yanguesan carriers. I looked on the intermet, but had no luck.

Secondly, what is a packstave?
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

PostSubject: Spark Notes Insight   Don Quixote Chapter V-X Icon_minitimeFri Nov 24, 2006 2:30 am

I have also been confused about the role that Sancho plays, in the windmill scene, when they meet the monks, and after the battle when he fears the authorities, he is grounded in reality, and encourages Don Quixote to see the 'truth'. But if he is grounded in reality, then why is he going along with DQ? And why does he believe that there is an island?

Another interesting note on Spark Notes, is that when it is beneficial to Sancho, he plays along with DQ. When he is robbing the monk/aquiring the spoils of his master in chapter nine, is it greed?? Which doesn't seem in line with his character at this point, but obviously he knows that they are monks and that it is fictional, since he points this out to DQ just moments before.

I still don't know if I know what Sancho's motivation is??
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

PostSubject: Compare DQ and SP   Don Quixote Chapter V-X Icon_minitimeFri Nov 24, 2006 3:07 am

I started to read the analysis on Spark Notes about the coparisson of DQ and Sancho, as soon as read the word opposites... I started to see what I could come up with.... Do you guys have any to add??

DQ: SP:
Tall, thin Short, stubby
Complex Simple
Optomistic Worries
Violent Pacifist
Greater Good Greed
Denies himself Indulges
Believes in Mystics Prays often
Back to top Go down
Tim

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2006-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Don Quixote Chapter V-X   Don Quixote Chapter V-X Icon_minitimeSat Nov 25, 2006 4:50 pm

my take on Sancho beating up the monk is that according to the rules of chilvary, to the victor goes the spoils, DQ would allow him to loot the person DQ had triumphed over - find and take any valuables the man was carrying.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

PostSubject: Re: Don Quixote Chapter V-X   Don Quixote Chapter V-X Icon_minitimeSat Nov 25, 2006 4:51 pm

Kelley,

I don't think he was just promised an "island." I think I read that he was promised to be governor of a kingdom or an island. This is where DQ is riding by the seat of his pants. Whatever comes up that he can give Sancho is going to have to do. DQ thinks quickly on his feet. DQ could probably give him a desert and Sancho would believe he is the governor of a great kingdom.

Marti
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

PostSubject: Re: Don Quixote Chapter V-X   Don Quixote Chapter V-X Icon_minitimeSat Nov 25, 2006 4:53 pm

I can't understand what Sancho's motivation is either. After reading up to Chapter 12 I'm starting to think that all these adventures are, of course, DQ's imagination and Sancho might be looking for a hero.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

PostSubject: sancho & DQ   Don Quixote Chapter V-X Icon_minitimeSun Nov 26, 2006 7:24 pm

Sancho is a happy go lucky, not too smart guy who is in it for whatever might ultimately be good for Sancho. ie. the recipe for the 'Balsam of Fierabras'. he wanted the recipe and would have been happy to trade that for any 'isle' or governership because it was cheaply made and would be a big seller! Maybe he really just wanted to get away from his farming duties and Theresa for a while when DQ asked him to go along?
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

PostSubject: Good Point   Don Quixote Chapter V-X Icon_minitimeMon Nov 27, 2006 9:30 pm

Hey that's a good point about getting away from Theresa.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Don Quixote Chapter V-X   Don Quixote Chapter V-X Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Don Quixote Chapter V-X
Page 1 of 1