The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapter 12-15

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapter 12-15 Empty
PostSubject: Chapter 12-15   Chapter 12-15 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 4:51 am

This forum is for the discussion is for the discussion of Invisible Man, Chapter 12-15.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Chapter 12-15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter 12-15   Chapter 12-15 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2007 12:28 pm

the narrator leaves the hospital in no condition to take care of himself and a kind woman takes him in. he realizes that the people at the mens club will see he is not the ame person he once was having ''lost his prospects ' and decides o move in w/mary. he lives there several months until his compensation checks run out. when looking for a job he sees an old couple evicted from their home. he made an impassioned speech after looking at the couples things individually, on the street, to the surrounding mob. (the going thru of their things was really touching to me, by the way). though it doesn't keep the mob from attacking the policeman, after his speech his approached by a man who wanted him to work for him doing paid speeches. he declines at first but after reconsidering his cirmcumstances decides to take it. The breaking of the bank at Marys house and then not being able to get rid of the evidnec was a little for shadowing of his not being able to shed himself of his past or his roots, maybe, i think.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapter 12-15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter 12-15   Chapter 12-15 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 9:10 pm

Kelley,
That comparision of the Booker T. Washington's society gain vs. intellectual gain really helped me understand things in a different light.

I didn't get it that the author was trying to bring that across. That helped a lot.

I'm a little slow but I got it.

The "Brotherhood" is another way the author is bringing this point across.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Chapter 12-15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter 12-15   Chapter 12-15 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2007 2:25 pm

I thought that this was interesting (and a symbol I missed on my own) "That the hotel where the meeting takes place is named the Chthonian, a term that refers to the gods of the Greek underworld, symbolizes the sinister nature of the Brotherhood’s intentions."

I agree with you mom, that the narrator being unable to rid himself of the broken bank, is symbolic of his inablity to be rid of the effects of racism.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Chapter 12-15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter 12-15   Chapter 12-15 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2007 6:44 pm

did either of you think the brotherhood could be communism? as with the other book we read and the black protagonist?
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Chapter 12-15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter 12-15   Chapter 12-15 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2007 6:37 pm

I didn't even think of that. What parallels do you see??
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Chapter 12-15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter 12-15   Chapter 12-15 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2007 7:32 pm

the fact that the white men were wanting all people to be equal, in therory, not just going for a specific race or gender. There was also a remark that the leader of the brotherhood made in reference to judaism rather under his breath, and suffering he had known. or maybe it was suffering he knew others had gone through. The time was right, too, for people to be active in america with marxism and communism in the 40's.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chapter 12-15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter 12-15   Chapter 12-15 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapter 12-15
Page 1 of 1