The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapter 11

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapter 11 Empty
PostSubject: Chapter 11   Chapter 11 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 4:51 am

This forum is for the discussion is for the discussion of Invisible Man, Chapter 11.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Chapter 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter 11   Chapter 11 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2007 12:16 pm

This was a weird chapter and I had to really pay attention to what was happening. I believe it was a company hospital for the paint company in which our hero was taken after the boiler accident. I couldn'd decide how long he had been there or what happened to the old man who was with him during the accident. I went to spark notes an was illumiated in many ways. I was reading way too literally here and not getting the subtlties that 'Notes' made very clear to me. Sometimes when iread Spark Notes, I am thinking "Oh yeah, i see that now!"
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapter 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter 11   Chapter 11 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 9:02 pm

This is really really weird. I am surprised at the length the author is taking it. The Spark Notes do help with the interpretation.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890

Chapter 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter 11   Chapter 11 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 9:49 pm

Most of the time I read SparkNotes and feel like I learn quite a bit about what the author is trying to say. I did think that the narrator was treated unfairly, and that they tried the new therapies on him because he was black. I did think that the physicians made some racist comments to the narrator during the interviews. The narrator, with an unknown amount of amnesia, is heading out into the world, to start over, with again no job. I do agree that this is a significant transition point for him. But for the rest of the stuff that SparkNotes was talking about???What on earth??? I just didn't see all that, I think that they are stretching??
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Chapter 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter 11   Chapter 11 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2007 6:42 pm

YOu know wha t I thought of when I read the part where the physicians were talking so baldly about the patient? It was about a time I was in the hospital to undergo some surgery and I was laying on the table and not quite under and the two nurses were talking over me about what they were doiong that night and what they were fixing for dinner. i still rmember one of them was talking about needing to go by the store after work and pick up some cabbage. you wonder if the doctors in this book were reallybeing mean or just casually letting their bias show, not thinking the patient would hear or remember.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chapter 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter 11   Chapter 11 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapter 11
Page 1 of 1