The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Book 2 Chapters 13-14

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Book 2 Chapters 13-14 Empty
PostSubject: Book 2 Chapters 13-14   Book 2 Chapters 13-14 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 1:32 am

This forum is for the discussion of The House of Mirth, Book 2, Chapters 13-14.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890

PostSubject: Re: Book 2 Chapters 13-14   Book 2 Chapters 13-14 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2007 7:46 am

According to SparkNotes "It is important to keep in mind that there are no definitively right or wrong answers to any of the ambiguities raised in the last chapters of the novel. Wharton's intention is clearly to leave a number of loose ends for the reader to interpret; this is what makes reading fun, and this is one of the reasons why The House of Mirth is considered an American classic."

I thought it was fitting that Lily should die in the end. Her "unluckiness" was always due to her poor choices, and that she 'accidentally' should die, is another of her choices that the people in her circle explain away, so that it is easier to swallow. It saddened me that Selden and his cousin were always there for Lily for the right reasons, and though initially for the wrong reasons Mr. Rosedale came around too...and yet she never saw it, appreciated it, or was thankful. She wallowed in her misery.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Book 2 Chapters 13-14   Book 2 Chapters 13-14 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2007 10:20 pm

This was written like a true European Classic.

One of these times I would like to see a happy ending to the drone of all these mishaps in the novel.

Not a real favorite of mine.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

PostSubject: Re: Book 2 Chapters 13-14   Book 2 Chapters 13-14 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2007 2:54 pm

Did Lilly mean to kill herself? I don't think so. Would she have married Seldon if she had lived another 24 hours to hear his proposal? I don't think so. she was perverse and dithery all the way through. People offered to help her financially but she wouldn't take it, her dpt was forgiven but she had to pay it anyway... was this part of the 'book of manners'?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Book 2 Chapters 13-14   Book 2 Chapters 13-14 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Book 2 Chapters 13-14
Page 1 of 1