The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapters 5-7

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 5-7 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 5-7   Chapters 5-7 Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2007 7:51 am

This forum is for the discussion of Stephen Crane's, The Red Badge of Courage, Chapters 5-7.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 5-7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 5-7   Chapters 5-7 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 8:00 am

Henry starts to join in the comradery of the regimen. Battle has begun and his instincts take over well. He realizes that self preservation is the job of ever soldier.

Henry feels the panic and flees. He alsorealizes that this is normal for all of the soldiers. He also realizes that the universe will continue to rotate and life will go on with or without him. That is a huge lesson for a young adult alone.

He finally takes solace in nature and has a few minutes reprive. Then the war comes back again when he encounters a dead man half decayed.

This young adult is learning a lot in life and war and it will be interesting to see where this goes. I read this book in high school, but that was 20 years ago. Ugh.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Chapters 5-7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 5-7   Chapters 5-7 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 9:47 pm

Henry experiences two sides of battle; once he is determined and focused, a part of the machine and the second he flees fearfully into the woods. He then reflects on his decisions.

I liked this by SparkNotes:

"The corpse is one of the most important metaphors in the early part of the novel, symbolizing both the finality of death and the indifference of nature to the elimination of a human consciousness."
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Chapters 5-7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 5-7   Chapters 5-7 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 4:39 pm

I must say that when reading the beginning of chapter five I could really sense the twisting in the stomachs of the men gettng ready to be involved in the fight. the author did a good job of building up anxiety.
I liked the line 'It was a mysterious fraternity born of the smoke and of death' to illustrate the sudden connection he had with his regiment.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Chapters 5-7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 5-7   Chapters 5-7 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 6:43 pm

I have felt that way through out the novel too. I can feel/sense the surroundings, the battle, the fear.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chapters 5-7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 5-7   Chapters 5-7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapters 5-7
Page 1 of 1