The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Interpreter- Pagan and Pope

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

The Interpreter- Pagan and Pope Empty
PostSubject: The Interpreter- Pagan and Pope   The Interpreter- Pagan and Pope Icon_minitimeFri Jan 05, 2007 4:49 am

I found it interesting to read the importance of the scene where Christian loses his scroll. During this scene we see that he is equally at risk from losing (his way/salvation) from an encounter with another, as he is to lose it himself. I agree that this scene emphasizes the importance of accountability in finding faith.

I felt like Apollyon was most likely the representation of satan (although, I haven't read the whole book to find out). I felt that the character tried many tactics to make Christian lose his way, which represents the many ways we can all be tempted.

I wonder as I read if some of the phrases in the book are taken from 'common every day' phrases, or if we are using phrases that are from this book (isn't it the most published book other than the Bible)? So the phrase the "straight and narrow" is that from this book.

I wondered what the symbolism of the characters just called 'Men' is. Every other character has been named a trait, except these two, is this significant?

I noticed that sleep in the day= trouble/sin
does this reference the sin -sloth- ??
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

The Interpreter- Pagan and Pope Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Interpreter- Pagan and Pope   The Interpreter- Pagan and Pope Icon_minitimeSat Jan 06, 2007 5:44 am

The symbol that jumped out to me was "Will & Grace." The removal of his burden on his back progressed from Will (the exertion to find faith) and Grace (is the result of it). Reading an analysis of this book says that these are heavenly traits and it is a path of someone finding strong individual faith.
Back to top Go down

The Interpreter- Pagan and Pope
Page 1 of 1