The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Second Level of Inquiry according to TWEM

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

The Second Level of Inquiry according to TWEM Empty
PostSubject: The Second Level of Inquiry according to TWEM   The Second Level of Inquiry according to TWEM Icon_minitimeThu Dec 21, 2006 4:46 pm

Is this novel a 'fable' or 'chronicle'?

What does the central character want? What is standing in his or her way? And what strategy does he or she pursue in order to overcome this block?

Who is telling this story?

Where is this story set?

What style does the writer employ?

Images and metaphores?

Beginnings and endings?
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

PostSubject: Reference   The Second Level of Inquiry according to TWEM Icon_minitimeThu Dec 21, 2006 4:53 pm

Don't forget you can reference your copy of the Well Educated Mind for more information on the Second and Third stages of Inquiry, there is more information and explanations for each question. Not all questions will be applicable to every book, not all questions have to be answered, but I thought since we went through all the work of reading it, we better look into finishing the steps.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

PostSubject: Level 2   The Second Level of Inquiry according to TWEM Icon_minitimeThu Dec 21, 2006 11:55 pm

Is this novel a 'fable' or 'chronicle'?

I believe that this book is a chronicle, as Cervantes goes through each moment of the days. But in some circumstance it seems as if DQ is trying to pull us into his universe, although Cervantes always reminds us of his delusion.

What does the central character want? What is standing in his or her way? And what strategy does he or she pursue in order to overcome this block?

DQ wants to be a knight errant, and have the respect that a knight errant has. DQ stands in his own way with his sanity issues and aggression, and the culture stands in his way by not believing him. As well as the fact that his desires are from fiction, it is no longer the time of knights. DQ's strategy seems to be to behave as he views a knight errant would behave regardless of the reactions of others or the explanations that others give. I wondered at different points through the book how insane he was, or if some of his behavior was an act to allow him to play the role that he desired.

Who is telling this story?

Cervantes is telling the main story in a thrid person point of view, but there are multiple substories told by the characters or 'read' from manuscripts.

Where is this story set?
1604 Spain, inns, the woods,

What style does the writer employ?

Complex, and circular, often times repeating things, and intentionally confusing the reader, to add to the sense of DQ's madness

Images and metaphores?

Inns- the meeting place
Books- dangerous, can change the course of event or your mind set
Horses- Travel
Moors- evil, stupid, etc

Beginnings and endings?
I don't have the book with me, but I will post later
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Second Level of Inquiry according to TWEM   The Second Level of Inquiry according to TWEM Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Second Level of Inquiry according to TWEM
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Well Educated Mind Reading Group :: Novel Section :: Don Quixote-
Jump to: