The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Home Again #14

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Home Again  #14 Empty
PostSubject: Home Again #14   Home Again  #14 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2007 4:38 pm

cheers

Wow, Una, Kit, Charlotte, Miss Sheffield, Mrs. Macey, Kit, Ahab, Mr. Hussey and Mr. Maynard. Dosey Do and switch your partner.

That was so funny. I cracked up when I read all the news since Una left Nantucket. Maybe that's where they got the saying:

There once was a man from Nantucket...................Embarassed
Who kept all his cash in a bucket
His daughter, named Nan
ran away with a man
and as for the bucket Nan tucket

I crack myself up.

lol!

(You didn't think I was going to let that one go by)

Just wanted to break the monotony of the writeups.

So Nantucket is a small island of 30 square miles. It is SE of the southern hook of Massachuttes.

As for the book ------ I think Una is genuinely happy with Ahab. After she gets home she goes on a visit to see Margaret Fuller. She isn't home in Boston, she went to visit someone else. Una follows her to the next visit. She gives up and goes home. After that unsuccessful visit, Una gives up on visiting her again. I would too. I think she has lost interest in her friendship. It is all so superficial.

I was so glad to hear that Frannie wrote her. I was surprised that she did it against her mother's wishes. A little while later Aunt Agatha softens up and forgives Una. Una is at peace with her family. Yeah (I liked them).

Here we start with Ahab and his vengence with Moby Dick. He comes home from a voyage and his leg is gone. During his recooperation he thinks of nothing but MD.

This story now meshes in with MD. It is quite cool to read something that intertwines so much.

I think its great that they are referring back to books like Pilgrim's Promise, Robinson Crusoe, Gulliver's Travel's, etc.

Very Cooooooooool
afro
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Home Again  #14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home Again #14   Home Again  #14 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2007 3:57 pm

OK~ I have been reading along on your posts and remembering the book...enjoying all you have written and now I AM cracking up about the bucket/nantucket poem!
I think you have done a great job with your posts. I think I may read that book again, someday!
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Home Again  #14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home Again #14   Home Again  #14 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2007 2:02 am

Karen, I hope you know that there a lot of dirty ones out there and this was seemed to fit our reading group better.

I bet Kelley was thinking, Marti don't tell mom dirty ones.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Home Again  #14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home Again #14   Home Again  #14 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2007 12:13 am

Apparently I am way out of the loop, because I don't think that I know any of the dirty ones either!!

How time flies through this book. I think that it is a really good book, but I find it difficult to 'discuss' on the post board. I wonder if it is because it is a great story, but lacks the underlying symbols and motifs that the 'classics' have had.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Home Again  #14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home Again #14   Home Again  #14 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2007 3:18 am

It also could be some dork had all the fun and posted first.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Home Again  #14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home Again #14   Home Again  #14 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Home Again #14
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Well Educated Mind Reading Group :: Novel Section :: Moby-Dick :: Ahab's Wife-
Jump to: