The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Lighthouse #3

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

The Lighthouse  #3 Empty
PostSubject: The Lighthouse #3   The Lighthouse  #3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2007 5:21 am

This seemed to me to be a wonderful place. Una found a great family that was warm and quite liberal. The "Giant" was a unique symbol. Frannie and Una described it and treated it like a living object. It was cute when they decorated it for Christmas.

Una's hard time in writing her parents was not hard to understand. I do think it was odd that she would write her mother frequently and alienate her father and only write him because she was prompted by others.

Everyone took this shift in Una's life as a normal occurrance. I don't know about you, but I would be pretty pissed off if my mother had to send me away to my aunt's house because my father's beliefs were stronger than his love for his child. Poor Una. Once again I think she got the better end of the deal.

Last edited by on Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

The Lighthouse  #3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Lighthouse #3   The Lighthouse  #3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2007 3:22 pm

It is interesting to see how every one has reacted to the move. Every character seems relatively calm about it. Maybe it is because the story is written from her point of view, and 'the adults' at the time tried to make it seem ok, so she as a child didn't pick up on the akwardness (although if this was the case, I think you may see more hostility from the daughter---but then again that opens a whole new Huge door, in sociology and other cultural influences on children's behavior and how they mirror authority...etc.)
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

The Lighthouse  #3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Lighthouse #3   The Lighthouse  #3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2007 8:49 pm

Good point.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Lighthouse  #3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Lighthouse #3   The Lighthouse  #3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Lighthouse #3
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Well Educated Mind Reading Group :: Novel Section :: Moby-Dick :: Ahab's Wife-
Jump to: