The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Begining

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

The Begining Empty
PostSubject: The Begining   The Begining Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2007 9:46 am

I have started Ahab's Wife, so fara it seems like it will be an interesting story, and not quite as tedious as it's predecesor. Is anyone else reading along?
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

The Begining Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Begining   The Begining Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2007 4:19 pm

I am going to read it with you. I had such a stressful busy night last night that I even forgot the book at work. I couldn't even peek in it at work. I so hate that.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

The Begining Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 1-5   The Begining Icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2007 3:15 pm

This story has my interest. Susan and Una cross the Ohio River like Eliza in Uncle Tom's Cabin.

I start to see Ahab as a husband, somewhat loving to his wife. There is a complete different image of Ahab. At this point, he is a person. In MD I thought of him as an antagonist.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

The Begining Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Begining   The Begining Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2007 3:17 am

Una is sent away from her parents home because she is an athiest. Harsh father. Geez. I know he was a Quaker from Rhode Island, but that is a bit drastic. Of course, the mother is submissive and follows the fathers commands.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890

The Begining Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Begining   The Begining Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2007 3:49 pm

Interesting point of view, I thought of it a different way. I thought that the father probably wanted her to stay to convince her of his ways, and the mom (strong willed as she is) helped her daughter to escape.

I haven't read in a long time...I have been so busy and tired...hopefully tonight will be the night.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

The Begining Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Begining   The Begining Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2007 3:53 pm

Her father's way's were very violent. The Quakers from Rhode Island probably were the "my way or no way" people and he thought beating her into it was the right way. He was quite hypocritical.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

The Begining Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Begining   The Begining Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2007 6:54 pm

i hope you guys are enjoying it, i am going to read your comments but i am reading the mystery about plural wives/mormonism that i got for my bday! when i read ahabs wife i thought for sure i would want to read moby dick!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Begining Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Begining   The Begining Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Begining
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Well Educated Mind Reading Group :: Novel Section :: Moby-Dick :: Ahab's Wife-
Jump to: