The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapters 29-33

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 29-33 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 29-33   Chapters 29-33 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2007 9:10 am

This forum is for the discussion of Uncle Tom's Cabin, Chapters 29-33
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 29-33 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 29-33   Chapters 29-33 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2007 9:41 am

St. Claire is buried and Marie has her hand with the slaves. She is very cruel and heartless. We find that all the slaves are at the mercy of their masters.

St. Claire's direction in life was noted as "driftwood." And so he didn't make arrangements for his slaves upon his death. They all will be sold and Tom would not be free.

Tom lands in a slave warehouse and meets up with a mother and daughter. Here Stowe gives us yet another sad breakup of a family. Tom is sold to a horrible master. As read in Spark Notes, Stowe is now going to give us the "cruel" side of the master first hand with our characters.

At the Legree farm there is no commrodery (sp). The two head slaves are enemies. Legree thinks this is a good thing. One will tell on the other. We also see that there is no religion at this farm. I assume that the harsher the master the less religion there is.

Tom is asked to whip a fellow slave. He refuses and gets beaten almost to death. There is one line that some slaves won't cross and they finally say I'm rather die, and I believe them.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890

Chapters 29-33 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 29-33   Chapters 29-33 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2007 10:52 pm

We are definitely begining to see the "harder" side of slavery. In the previous sections, the slaves haven't faced the kind of abuse and injustice as in this section. I believe Stowe is now trying to shock the reader with what other possiblities are out there.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 29-33 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 29-33   Chapters 29-33 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2007 12:52 am

I really enjoy your insight. As we have read in the Well Educated Mind, we should be trying to focus on "what the author" was trying to tell us. I keep forgetting that.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Chapters 29-33 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 29-33   Chapters 29-33 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2007 12:31 pm

The slave ware house chapter portrayed how awful the selling of slaves really was. All the slaves from St. Clares home no matter what their position are now thrown together and are all at the very bottom of the pecking order. No longer is Adolph able to be the 'pretthy boy'. I hated reading about Susan and Emmalines plight. I felt like crying reading about susans worries for her daughter and her diaghters niavaty in what was to become of them.
I have heard of people refr to 'Simon legree" in other contexts and never knew who the guy was, so it was interesting to read about him. I felt revolted. His cruelty in taking toms possessions was disgsting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chapters 29-33 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 29-33   Chapters 29-33 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapters 29-33
Page 1 of 1