The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Custom-House Introduction

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

The Custom-House Introduction Empty
PostSubject: The Custom-House Introduction   The Custom-House Introduction Icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2007 8:36 am

This intro is unique. The narrator works at the Salem Customs House and comes across a manuscript with a Scarlet Letter. This manuscript is written by a previous worker of the Salem Customs House. The narrator decides to write about the incident. He loses his position of employment. He uses writing as therapy. The narrator is a devote Puritan and this will make the subject quite interesting from his point of view.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

PostSubject: Re: The Custom-House Introduction   The Custom-House Introduction Icon_minitimeMon Feb 19, 2007 1:10 am

I found this section really hard to read. I hope that Hawthorne's style isn't like this all the way through...
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

PostSubject: Re: The Custom-House Introduction   The Custom-House Introduction Icon_minitimeMon Feb 19, 2007 3:31 pm

I found it hard to read too. I used the Spark Notes and that helped a lot. It is a unique way to introduce a book.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

PostSubject: Re: The Custom-House Introduction   The Custom-House Introduction Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2007 5:26 pm

I found the intro to be long and tedious. I wanted to get on with the story! I chose between one of two books at the library and one did not even have the intro which i thought was interesting.
i thought the manuscript may have been written by a relative of the narrator. did either of you guys?
this is the second book we have read that the author perports to 'find' the manuscript...
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

PostSubject: Re: The Custom-House Introduction   The Custom-House Introduction Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2007 9:31 pm

Which was the other book that was read by the narrator from a manuscript? How quickly we forget.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890

PostSubject: Re: The Custom-House Introduction   The Custom-House Introduction Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2007 4:58 am

Don Quixote...was 'gathered' by Cervantes and presented.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

PostSubject: Re: The Custom-House Introduction   The Custom-House Introduction Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2007 5:51 am

Oh yeah. How quickly we forget.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Custom-House Introduction   The Custom-House Introduction Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Custom-House Introduction
Page 1 of 1