The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Final Thoughts

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Final Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Final Thoughts   Final Thoughts Icon_minitimeSun Feb 04, 2007 8:45 pm

Now that you are done reading, do you have any final insights?
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Final Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Thoughts   Final Thoughts Icon_minitimeWed Feb 14, 2007 8:53 pm

I liked this book. It was an easy read and i liked the twists. it is a little like a mystery, which I love any way. her style evoked good visuals in my mind as I read. this could be due to seeing the movie years ago and some of those pictures were already planted in my brain.
I like that her boarding school situation was rectfied during her tenure so that things were better for her and its participants. i like that Mrs. Reed and John got their comeuppance. I liked it too, that Blanche was described by rochester as what she really was.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Final Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Thoughts   Final Thoughts Icon_minitimeWed Feb 14, 2007 9:04 pm

i was reading through marti's comments and I agree with you that I have learned a lot about life styles of people during the times the previous books have been written. Yow! what about having a house party for two weeks! that would be awful today. but you're right, they had long distances to travel and they also had a lot of help.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Final Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Thoughts   Final Thoughts Icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2007 12:11 am

Now remember Karen, they even had chamber maids for each guest. That would have been fabulous. No pressure for the host eh.

I loved this book. I expected Jane to do the "proper thing" and just live her life out like the author Charlotte Bronte. Charlotte died at age 41 from what they think as an inconclusive finding.

I was going through the airport and saw this book released 10/06 about the cholera epidemic in the 1850's in England. I wrote the book name down, The Ghost Map, and came home and got it on line. I read a review about it and it said that England (not Europe) was the largest city in the world for the time. They had over 2.5 million people in the area and didn't have the public facilities to go with it. I think I'm going to read it when it comes in.

I will probably take a break and get into Wicked. I asked my mother-in-law if she wanted to go to the musical and she said probably. I told her to look it up on the web. She loves Oz etc. We are probably going to go and leave the guys home. Thanks for the tip.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890

Final Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Thoughts   Final Thoughts Icon_minitimeSun Feb 18, 2007 7:16 pm

It's pretty amazing to see the growth and progress Jane has made through out the story. I like this style of novel, being able to see what happens to the protaganist throughout her life.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Sponsored content

Final Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Thoughts   Final Thoughts Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Final Thoughts
Page 1 of 1